The Venus project is after the Mars project (I also wrote an article on that), it mainly consists of learning how to code, design games, and make game art! Nicolas, Cassie and I were all part of this project, Cassie focused on learning art, Nicolas focused on coding, and I learned everything (even though it took more time). Our main source was video tutorials, and I had to be careful not to just watch it and it would be over, I needed to do the exercises presented in the videos too.
To finish the videos faster, I had a plan/experiment, I would slowly raise the speed of the video. For example, I would first raise it to x1.25, and when I get comfortable with that speed, I would raise it to x1.5, you get the point. After a while, the normal speed seems to be in slow motion! But my main priority was still comprehension, not speed.
To manage this project, we used an online tool called Airtable, and every day we put what we did in a table to keep track. One day I got lazy and didn’t put it in, and before I knew it, It was a full month without using the tool, and a lot the tasks I was supposed to do was overdue. Putting things it wasn’t hard at all, but if I get lazy and miss one day, I will miss all the days that come after… Causing the whole system to go into chaos.
I just finished this project today, the day I am writing this article, and through all the management problems, I think it’s a success, and I now have the confidence to make a game myself!
P.S. this is one of my games: http://space_shooter.surge.sh/